Common Thoughts Debunked

By Sam Huddleston

Most people believe that kids in high school feel that they will never die. They believe that we feel that we are invincible, and that nothing can stop us. Most people back this up by saying that because nothing bad has happened in our lives, that we don’t know what it is like to feel pain and sorrow and in return, feel that we can never experience that. I would like to change that mindset after the recent death of an Avonworth student from meningitis. This death occurred in just my second week of school, and I was shocked by it. Yes, this was just another student in a school with over 700 kids with it but it deeply affected me.

I have experienced death before, with the passing of numerous aunts and uncles of mine but have never really experienced death to a person at my age. All I could think about after I had heard about it was what this child could have accomplished. He could have been a scientist, a doctor, or even the next president. It made me really think about how everyday I spend on Earth could in fact be my last one. That this article I am typing right now could never be published because I could die later tonight. It made me realize that I need to make the most out of every opportunity in life.

I hope that I have made all of you who are reading this aware of how little time we spend on earth, and that this time could end at anytime. And please remember the Avonworth community in your prayers.